- Only Governor Dayton can prevent a shutdown. He is the only one with the power to call a special session, allowing the Legislature to get back to work. So far, he’s refused.
- Governor Dayton claims that his tax increase will only affect the “Top 2%.”
But in fact, a DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE study shows that his tax increase proposal will impact ALL INCOME EARNERS in the State of Minnesota.
- According to the most recent budget poll released on June 20th…
87% of Minnesotans want state spending to decrease or stay the same. While, only 8% support an increase in state spending.
- The Legislature completed their work & passed a balanced, responsible budget 6 weeks early… And made it publicly available for the Governor, his administration, DFL legislators.
- Republicans have made serious & honest compromises to Governor Dayton on the budget, including:
- Offering the Governor 100% of his funding requests for Education.
- Giving up $200 million in tax relief originally included in our budget offer.
On the campaign trail, Governor Dayton pledged NOT to shut government down… but on July 1st, he will.